SEMO: Higher Education at a Possible Lower Cost

Diego Branda | Reporter

Last week, news arose of a new scholarship opportunity that would save local families thousands. Southeast Missouri State University (SEMO) of Cape Girardeau, Missouri released plans for a scholarship, starting the fall semester of 2020, to grant free tuition to local low-income families who qualify. 

According to the schools website, the “Will To Do Award” requires that you are eligible for a Federal Pell Grant, are a Missouri resident, achieved a 2.75 cumulative GPA throughout high school, and plan on enrolling full-time.

According to The Southeast Missourian, the school expects roughly 900 members of the 2020 freshman class to be eligible, as university president Carlos Vargas-Aburto states that the scholarship “underscores Southeast’s commitment to financial support for students who need it most.”

The school’s goal is to give low income families who may find it difficult or near impossible to pay for college and give them a chance that they might not have gotten prior, which is higher education. The idea is being funded by a reallocation of funds in the financial aid program, and there is only a certain number of this specific scholarship awarded each semester.

This new opportunity directly affects Hickman students for one main reason: this amazing scholarship is extremely local. We are all citizens of Missouri, so that makes us one step closer to qualification to this life-changing grant. During the 2016-2017 school year, SEMO’s acceptance rate was roughly 83%, so all who apply will most likely be given a shot at receiving this bank-saving award.