A Race for the History Books

It was a truly historic season for Hickman’s cross country team. Each of the guys and girls teams’ seasons were amongst the most successful they’ve ever had, as both teams qualified for state competition. The last time both teams made it to state was 2004, and there was an insurmountable amount of hype surrounding the team following a school-record sectionals meet.

Districts was held at McNair Park in St Charles on October 20th. Seven boys and seven girl runners represented Hickman. The boys were represented by seniors Chandler Gibbens, Isaac Saathoff, Alex Shultz, Charlie Werth, junior Jack Martin, and sophomores Cale Littrell and Evan Shory. The girls side was a bit younger this year as freshman Ella Leigh and Nancy Lewandoski, sophomores Peri Welch and Elizabeth Henderson, junior Marissa Kraus, and seniors Grace Brinkmann and Rachel Edidin represented Hickman on the girls team.

This year’s district meet was one of their most successful Hickman cross country has ever had, as the boys team came out with a second place finish behind Jefferson City. Chandler Gibbens, who was district champion, Isaac Saathoff, Charlie Werth, and Cale Littrell also qualified individually, as top 30 district runners qualify for sectionals automatically. Individual girl qualifiers were Peri Welch, Grace Brinkmann, Nancy Lewandoski, Marissa Kraus, Elizabeth Henderson, and Ella Leigh.  The girls team placed third as a team behind Rock Bridge and Timberland.

At a thrilling Sectionals meet, the girls placed third again, and the boys placed first, both qualifying for State.

The State meet was held on November 3rd at Oak Hills Golf Course in Jefferson City. This course served as the state meet’s course since 1976. To the excitement of local runners, the new state course will be in Columbia in 2019. Despite being one of the tougher courses in the state, the Kewpies finished a successful season with 13th-place finishes for each boys and girls. Senior Chandler Gibbons topped off his successful high school cross country career with a fourth place finish at state in Class 4.