The Student News Site of Hickman High School

Purple and Gold News

Purple and Gold News

Purple and Gold News

Feel connected to Hickman

Feel connected to Hickman
Jelly Milo

Feeling connected at school is one of the most important things for students to feel. Many students say they feel connected to the school in some way.

The people we talk to have a big impact on our school life in many different ways.

Jackson Gooch (10) said “I’m in a bunch of different classes; like I’m in band, but I’m also in sports. So I feel like I’ve done a lot of different activities with a lot of different people.’’

Being in sports or a club can make you feel like you have someone who gets you, someone who’s always by your side to help you. 

Niyah Wray (12) said, “I played sports for three years. I was here and made good connections with my teachers. I would say there are a lot of diverse groups at Hickman. There’s always going to be a group of people who you can connect with.” 

Sports and clubs seem to bring people who have the same interests together which causes people to feel connected. 

Hickman is one of the most diverse schools in Columbia, and by being diverse, we as a school get to see more cultures and make new traditions.

Jelly Milo

Talaija Smith (12) said, “There’s just a lot of mixed cultures and people, which might be what people are looking for.”

There are also different communities in Hickman. 

Rute Retta (12) said, “I made a support system, but I wouldn’t have one if I hadn’t.”

People in the school make a support system because sometimes the school might not have one that fits them in it.

However, not all students feel connected to the school. 

Kayden Henggeler (10) said, “I feel like some people don’t really care, they’re [not] many people that I would feel comfortable talking to.’’ 

Sometimes people want a support system but don’t feel comfortable, and that’s just the way it is because we are all different. Not everyone is going to feel the same way about Hickman, but as Hickman students, we can try and make people feel like they belong at our school. 

Demi McBride (11) says she tries to include as many people as possible: “In clubs like Mac Scholars, I try to help people who usually don’t speak up a lot.”