The Student News Site of Hickman High School

Purple and Gold News

Purple and Gold News

Purple and Gold News

A team overshadowed by others

Hickman girls basketball’s season so far

In the latter stages of January, sports at Hickman High School are at their finest. The winter sports seasons are hitting their climax, and the spring sports’ pre-seasons are in full swing. One of the top winter sports at Hickman is girls basketball. The Kewpies are currently 16-6 and they have plenty of playing left. 

Coach Morgan Scott, the head coach of the Hickman girls basketball team since 2020 has brought a lot of success to the program and this season is no different. Since Scott joined the team in 2020, they have had a record of 58-36. 

“Our season up to now has been what you typically expect from each season; highs and lows, wins and losses. Our schedule was strengthened significantly, and I feel it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do: to prepare us for a postseason run,” Scott said when asked about how the season has been so far. “We beat the reigning Class 4 State Champions [Vashon High School] in the Sophie Cunningham Classic by 30. We won, for the 2nd straight year, the Rotating 8 Tournament in STL defeating a very good Eureka team.”

Caroline Eastman (11) drives the ball to score in the Kewpies’ 65-57 win against St. Thomas Aquinas.

Caroline Eastman (11) was also asked about how the season has gone so far.

“The season has had a lot of ups and downs, but we have been able to persevere and stay together as a team. But overall, it has been a very fun season so far and I can’t wait for what’s next to come.” 

Caroline, the starting shooting guard on the team, is familiar with playing in high-level high school sports. Along with being a varsity basketball player for her whole high school career, she has also been a part of the varsity volleyball team at Hickman. 

When asked about how the season has been, Jayla Griffith (11), another three-year member of the varsity team said, “We have had a lot of adversity, but we find a way to stick together and always play the Hickman way.” 

Jayla Griffith (11), dribbles the ball up the court in the Kewpie’s 65-57 win against St. Thomas Aquinas. (Elizabeth Belt)

When Sy’Rae Stemmons (11) was asked about some of the challenges the team has faced this season she said.

“Having consistent energy and staying locked in.” 

Sy’Rae, like Caroline, has been a three-year member of the varsity team. Sy’Rae is also a guard like Caroline. 

When asked about her view on the challenges Hickman has faced, Jayla said. 

“We tend to work ourselves up for games when there is no need.” 

At Hickman, both the boys and girls basketball teams have been very successful. Caroline was asked about whether the girl’s team is overshadowed by the boy’s team and what they would like to see change. 

“I do believe that the women’s team does get overshadowed at times. I mean at the Rockbridge game, there was a good crowd however when we lose, I feel like the students seem to use that loss to justify not coming…I would like for students to give us the respect we deserve, we might not win all the time, but we work just as hard as the men’s team. Overall, I just want people to see what we can do because we are a really good team.” 

To the same question, Sy’Rae said. “I definitely feel like we don’t get enough recognition. Like, we don’t get as much hype as the boys.”

Looking ahead to the rest of the season, and what some goals of the team are, coach Scott said. 

“Trust the process. Trust one another. Control what we can control – our attitude, effort, energy, and attention to detail.” 

When asked about her goals, Jayla said, “Start and finish the game with the same intensity. Don’t let one mistake lead to another, [a] next play mindset.”

View Comments (1)