The Student News Site of Hickman High School

Purple and Gold News

Purple and Gold News

Purple and Gold News

The inside scoop: Courtwarming candidates

The Courtwarming festivities are picking up this week as the dance is right around the corner. The meteor shower masquerade is set to take place on Friday night. 

Starting the week off with PJ day, students at Hickman are coming to class with their red and black plaid pajamas despite the 80-degree weather. The spirit week theme tomorrow fits the weather a little bit better being “Tropical Tuesday.” 

The infamous Charity Fair also takes place on Tuesday and the nine candidates have been preparing all week. From smoothies to BBQ, the Charity Fair will have plenty of variety for everyone to enjoy. Let’s take a closer look at our candidates and what they will be serving. 

Ahlam Abdo:

Ahlam is representing AVID and is raising money for the Day Dreams Foundation. Ahlam chose this charity because she wanted to “give back to an organization that allows students to be the best versions of themselves and for giving students an opportunity to be successful no matter what their financial struggles are.” 

Ahlam said this process has been stressful but would do it again if given the chance. She is selling chicken nachos from El O’s Mexican restaurant for the Charity Fair. 

Helen Hinnant- Root: 

Helen is representing Hickman Speech and Debate and is raising money for the Como Mobile Aid Collective. 

When asked why this charity is important to her, Helen said “I believe that providing direct aid to the homeless with a mission of radical compassion is incredibly important to better take care of our citizens in this community.” 

Helen plans on selling Pizza Tree and Goldies Bagel at the Charity Fair on Tuesday. 

Savannah Burkhardt: 

Savanna is representing the HOPE club and is raising money for Coyote Hill. 

“Coyote Hill is important to me because I know it is a well-trusted charity that helps kids.” 

Savannah said that this process has helped her immensely with her leadership skills. She plans on selling Domino’s Pizza at the Charity Fair.

Ashlyn McFarland: 

Ashlyn is representing the Journalism Club and is raising money for the City of Refuge. 

“My charity is important to me because they support education as well as basic needs for refugees.” 

Ashlyn plans on volunteering more after Courtwarming ends. 

For the Charity Fair, Ashlyn is selling a custom ice cream flavor from Sparky’s ice cream. 

“It’s pina colada flavored, I really hope everyone likes it.” 

Addie Crews: 

Addie is representing the Hickman Review and is raising money for the Mid-MO Fisher House. 

“For the past 4 years, I’ve volunteered at the Truman Memorial VA Hospital and I’ve grown really close to the people there. Fisher House is a really great resource for veteran families and I really want to give back to a community that I love and respect.”

Addie is planning on selling smoothies from Tropical Smoothie and cookies from Hot Box.

Isabella (Bella) Meyer: 

Bella is representing the Hickman cheer team and is raising money for the University of Missouri Pediatrics Hospital. 

Bella said her main reason for choosing this charity is because “it has kept my nephew alive and family/friends that go there.” 

Bella plans on selling pulled pork and rolls, among other items from Texas Roadhouse. 

Langston Stroupe: 

Langston is representing the mens basketball team and is raising money for the Boys and Girls Club. 

This process has been stressful for him as he is in the middle of basketball season, but “having friends and family help has made the process more doable.” 

Langson plans on selling D’Rowes for the Charity Fair. 

Natalie Armistead: 

Natalie is representing Trireme and is raising money for the Central Missouri Foster and Adoption. Natalie plans on selling Jimmy Johns at the Charity Fair.