The Student News Site of Hickman High School

Purple and Gold News

Purple and Gold News

Purple and Gold News

Ready to make art

How the Hickman Review comes together
The 2018 edition of the Hickman Review pictured among other editions of the news magazine.
Jelly Milo

The Hickman Review is a program that helps students showcase their art through magazines. The Hickman Review has been around since the ‘80s. 

Today, sponsor MacKenzie Everett-Kennedy is the head of the Hickman Review team. 

The team for the Hickman Review is comprised of 15 students from all grades. 

“Our team is made up of 15 students at the max because when there’s a lot of students it starts to get a little crazy,” Everett-Kennedy said.   

Hailee Olinger (12) joined when she was a sophomore. 

“I was pretty interested in it just because I was inspired by the arts and creativity,” Hailee said.   

The Hickman Review team works mostly on their own. They teach each other programming skills and editing.  

“The only thing I do is make sure they stay on time and make sure they stay on budget,” Everett-Kennedy said. 

The Hickman review comes together to showcase all the art and literature that Hickman students have shared.

They get over 500 submissions of art and literature from students. The team is responsible for voting for which ones they think stand out the most. Picking the best 20 for literature and 30 for art. 

“I leave it up to the team to decide,” Everett-Kennedy said. 

When the team picks the ones they think stand out the most, they start putting them all together, editing and programming it to put it all in a magazine. 

“[The] Magazines ride or die with them,” Everett-Kennedy said.