The Student News Site of Hickman High School

Purple and Gold News

Purple and Gold News

Purple and Gold News

Be loud and be proud

Hickman High School Black History Month assembly
Ready to play: Hickman High School students play musical chairs to celebrate the 50th anniversary of hip-hop at the Black History Month Assembly on Feb. 21.
Sarah Won

Black History Month is about telling stories and celebrating all the accomplishments and defeats that African Americans have been through. 

The assembly was presented by MAC scholars and Avid students.  

While students enter, music plays and you can see people smiling and dancing. 

The first assembly starts by explaining what BHM is all about, reading poems that talk about the struggle and what they wish for.

After announcing the 50th anniversary of hip-hop, everyone in the crowd got hyped while the MAC and Avid students picked audience members to play music chairs which a lot of the students were thrilled about. That was all for the first assembly. 

Step on in: Mid Missouri High Steppers making noise and getting hyped to celebrate Black History Month on Feb. 21. (Jelly Milo)

The second assembly started the same but ended up being so much different. An African American dance group, Mid Missouri High Steppers, came out and performed which got the crowd hyped. The movement of the dancers made people in the stands want to dance. Clapping and cheering covered the entire gym.

The drumline was so good you could hear the beat inside you. It was incredible seeing all the talent. Having an assembly dedicated to BHM shows how far we have come. 

“The assembly went smoothly it was very exciting,” Tylia Monroe (12) said.