The Student News Site of Hickman High School

Purple and Gold News

Purple and Gold News

Purple and Gold News

From ear to ear

The ever-smiling Lisa Chalupny
From ear to ear
Meliah Stevenson

Guidance Secretary Lisa Chalupny sits in her seat with a warm, friendly smile. Her neat desk welcomes students as they walk into the office. Family pictures in yellow-gold frames are sitting underneath her monitor stand. 

Chalupny’s friendly smile has been a fixture at Hickman for 16 years. 

“My boys graduated from Rock Bridge, but I have a special place in my heart for Hickman,” she said. 

Chalupny is in charge of many important things at Hickman.

“I do the registration for the AP exams. I collect money and organize that,” she explained.

As a guidance secretary, things get busy for Chalupny at certain times during the year. Chalupny says that the beginning and end of the school year are the busiest times because of transcripts being sent out.

Overall, Chalupny says her job is being the first face people see when they come into the office and directing people where they need to be.

Chalupny is originally from Afton, Missouri but has been in Columbia for 29 years.

“I raised my two boys here. Because I love the trails, and I love the small town college town. I used to take my boys to the football games when they were little and it’s a great place. Both of my boys went to Mizzou,” she said.

Chalupny has two sons. One who recently got married and has a baby boy on the way. 

Chalupny’s friendly smile will be at Hickman for a while longer.

“… I have a couple more years until I retire and Hickman has been a great place to work. I’m so proud of Hickman,” she said.