The Student News Site of Hickman High School

Purple and Gold News

Purple and Gold News

Purple and Gold News

Crackling Choir Competition

Hickman performs fire-themed show choir routine at Rock Bridge in finals
Hickman’s Harmonix performs at the Courtwarming Assembly on Feb. 29. Picture taken by Cresset staff member Reese Smith.

Despite limited performances in front of live audiences, Hickman’s Harmonix show choir dazzled at Rock Bridge’s South Side Showdown on Saturday, Feb. 17. 

Hickman has had many fine arts programs and organizations, but never a show choir. With this being the first year, they did not plan on competing.

Despite this, Hickman placed sixth in this competition that brought out seventeen schools from all over Missouri. This placing is remarkable considering this is Hickman’s first year having a show choir program.

“Originally, we weren’t gonna compete this year. We didn’t know where our choir would be, if we would need a year to, kind of, get it started up and lay some foundation,” Aaron Wucher (12) said.

Show Choir is not only a vocally demanding activity, but also physically demanding

“It’s honestly like its own sport,” Aubrey Thompson-Goodman (12) said.

With only one more performance in the competition season, the seniors are left with a bittersweet feeling.

“I won’t be able to be a part of the future of Hickman show choir, but I really hope to see the program grow,” Aubrey expressed.

This is common in show choir because of the relationships that it can build.

“You definitely feel a big sense of community when you join,” Aubrey said.