The Student News Site of Hickman High School

Purple and Gold News

Purple and Gold News

Purple and Gold News

In sync

Winter Guard members explain the difference between Color Guard and Winter Guard
Winter Guard member, Phoebe Lowenberg (9) performs.

Most students are familiar with Color Guard; they often see them performing on the football field with the marching band. But, many do not know about Winter Guard.

The Winter Guard team has about 12 girls on it and they perform at various competitions around the country. Competition season is during second semester. 

Winter Guard is similar to Color Guard, but the two have some differences. Winter Guard is indoors and is set to recorded music, as opposed to music played by the marching band. They dance and also have flags, mock rifles and sabers that they spin during the routines. 

“It is like an extension of the color guard which is like a marching band with people who spin flags and dance. We’re on this big tarp and we do choreographing and we spin flags and like weapons like rifles and sabers,” Phoebe Lowenburg (9) said.

Multiple girls on the team explained that the flag throwing and synchronizing is one of the most challenging things that they do in Winter Guard.

“[It’s] the flags that I have a little bit of trouble with, like you’re all supposed to move at one time,” Fiffer Matteson(10)  expressed.

Students in Winter Guard enjoy the overall experience. They like all of the new skills they learn and collaborating with their teammates and building new bonds. 

“You learn a lot, you get really flexible and you learn how to spin flag and dance and it’s a really great experience. It’s so fun, everyone on the team is friends,” Phoebe said.