The Student News Site of Hickman High School

Purple and Gold News

Purple and Gold News

Purple and Gold News

Last year, last chance

Penelope Heidy (12, center) smiles with friends. Picture via Penelope Heidy.

As a senior, there can be a lot of stress that we may be having. It is shocking because our time is almost up with only April left. It feels like time moves so fast; we were just freshmen, and now we are graduating.  

As deadlines come up, it starts to get overwhelming and can cause anxiety waiting for prom, graduation, and college.

Prom is a night that is all about you, finding a dress, and having everything ready to go. As a senior myself, I have had some trouble finding a dress. I wanted a dress that made me stand out. To figure out hair, nails, and more, I looked for inspiration from others. I want to make sure everything comes together. Getting flashy shoes, dresses and cars are on the top of our lists as seniors.  

Tionne Milo (12) said, “I’m going to go to prom with a Mercedes and finna have a good time.”

Graduation is the time where we walk across the stage and down the stairs, where we realize that we finally did it. To be honest, I’m quite nervous about walking on the stage. The anticipation that it’s almost my turn makes my heart beat faster. 

Tylia Monroe (12) said, “I feel bittersweet about it. It’s nice. I’m excited to start this new chapter of my life, but it’s a little sad.” 

Some people go to the All-Night Party right after graduation. This is our last party to be kids, win prizes and just have fun. 

A lot of people also have graduation parties to celebrate their graduation. I know me and my family are going to have a barbeque and chill.

Christina Cox (12) poses for her soccer picture. Picture via Christina Cox.

Christina Cox (12) said, “I think it’s a cool way to kind of celebrate you. It can be a little expensive [though].”

College is on many of our minds as we set off making deposits, writing essays, getting dorm decorations to spice up our new living space and applying for all the colleges because we don’t know if we’re going to get in. Even after we were done with that, picking which college was so stressful because we didn’t know which one was right for us. 

For me, I remember having a list of what I wanted from the school, and I also highly recommend going on a tour to see the school.  

We wonder if we will find friends at college, if we can survive being away from our parents. I’m excited to start a new chapter but also scared because I don’t want to leave my parents. I know I will be in tons of new places, and everything will be a new environment. I will see and explore new things.  

Penelope Heidy (12) said, “I’m so excited for college. I have been waiting my whole life to go and have fun.”

The clock is ticking down. It’s time we become the next generation instead of listening to other people. We are going to do it the way we want to do it, living our lives to the fullest.