The Student News Site of Hickman High School

Purple and Gold News

Purple and Gold News

Purple and Gold News

“Oh captain, my captain”

Robin Williams takes the lead in an emotionally raw film
John Keating (Robin Williams) introduces a snippet of a poem to his classroom in front of a glass cabinet filled with award-winning students from the past in a scene from Dead Poets Society.
Lizzie Braskett

The movie “Dead Poets Society” is an underrated piece of art. It is an absolute classic and a must-see film that came out in 1989.

To many, including me, “Dead Poets Society” is an emotionally heartwarming and inspiring movie. Of course, there are also scenes to laugh along with and cry to. Even if you’re not the type to get teary-eyed over films or shows like I am, you still might feel something for it.

Let me introduce you to the film’s main idea and vibe.

The story takes place in the year 1959 at an all-male prep school and follows a group of friends who become encouraged by their new English teacher, John Keating (played by Robin Williams), to unleash their creative potential with his humor and heart-to-heart conversations about life and poetry.  

By doing so, Mr. Keating inspires the students to look at poetry and life from a new and different perspective, and because of this, the group of students decided to bring back an unauthorized club and they begin challenging the status quo.

In the opening scene, you meet all the relevant characters in the story, and not long afterward, you see the first English class with all its chaos and glory. The main characters begin to unlock and see their true potential through Mr. Keating’s unorthodox method of teaching. 

What I mean by the “unorthodox method of teaching” is that Mr. Keating conducted and taught most of his classes outside of the classroom. During the learning process, he had the classroom engaging in physical activities such as soccer and walking around in the courtyard.

Mr. Keating teaches the boys English in the courtyard in a scene from Dead Poets Society. (Lizzie Braskett)

It gives the boys a different type of classroom environment instead of just going from class to class in the same old boring fashion. Even when English is taught in the classroom, it is different than just sitting down at a desk and reading books, poetry, or taking notes.

For the most part, the atmosphere gives out positive vibes infused with creativity and optimism. It’s a rollercoaster of emotions; in the beginning, everything is bright and happy as the characters are introduced. When you are halfway into the movie, you become more engaged with the characters and their feelings. However, near the end, you hit a stop, and become saddened at how the fun had to end. 

With the wonderful performance of the cast and the excellent acting, this masterpiece of a film was made.

Robin Williams is one of the more well-known actors in this movie. Still, there are also actors such as Ethan Hawke (The Black Phone), Robert Sean Leonard (House), Josh Charles (The Good Wife), and Kurtwood Smith (That 70’s Show) who all give amazing performances that help bring it all together.

It shows life in a raw and shockingly real way. It shows how pressure from parents can take a toll on a person, how a tragic event affects friends, teachers, and family, how much friendship can mean to people, and how much a teacher can affect someone’s life.

If you like classic movies, Robin Williams, happiness, and heartbreak, then this movie is for you. Even if you don’t like these types of movies, I still recommend the film. I thought I wouldn’t like the movie when it was put on TV, but in the end, I cried and fell in love with the movie as a whole.

Carpe diem. Seize the day, my friends. Make your lives extraordinary.